Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Mother's Day


Ahhh yes, Mother's Day.  In the weeks leading up to Mothers day the stores are overflowing with candy, cards, flowers and teddy bears.  For most, it is a day that is looked forward to- the one day of the year where Mom's everywhere are told not to cook or clean- and most times are lavished on for the day.  Flowers are received, homemade gifts from children are oooohed and ahhhed over.  It is a wonderful day.

  For others- it is a sad reminder that they have no mother or wife to buy a gift for this year or any year from now on.  It is a day to reflect on the wonderful woman gone too soon.  A day to think of all the wonderful memories and special times you had, to look at pictures and think.  It is also a sad reminder for those who have babies in Heaven.  A day that we wish we could skip most of the time.  A day to fight through and make every effort to be happy and enjoy the day- even though it may take everything you have. 

My Mom always made Mother's day special for ME.  Yes- for me.  When I became a Mother- every year like clockwork she would send me a card and something special in the mail.  We would laugh because every year it was the same thing.  "Um, I got you a Mother's day gift but its going to be late..."  She would say- "same here!".  Very rarely did we ever give or receive gifts on time- it was a joke to us- we were just fashionably late gift givers :)

This will be my 2nd Mother's Day without my Mom.  I thought I was doing pretty good until I was watching TV last night and saw where people were being interviewed about what they loved most about their Moms.  It was touching and heart wrenching at the same time.  They were telling their Mom's thank you for everything- and most of their Mom's were in the audience alive and well.

Even though she is not here physically, I see it fit to tell her how I feel on this Mother's Day week and would like to share.

"Mom, I want to tell you how much I love you and miss you.  You have always been there for me- fought for me and supported me.  I am the woman I am today because of you.  You taught me to love everyone and judge no one.  You taught me that family is everything and real friends are forever.  You taught me to love myself and to fight for what I believe in.  You are beautiful inside and out and I thank God I was able to spend 34 years with you.  I would give anything to hug your neck again but we know that will come some day.  Thank you for the butterflies and ladybugs- I know that is you."

Love Always,

Your Baby Girl

I wanted to do something special- so I planted a memorial garden in my backyard last weekend in honor of my Mom. Whether you have lost your Mom recently or years ago- I encourage you to do something that you and/or your Mom would enjoy this Mother's Day.  If you are a Mom, remember this is your day too.  Be kind to yourself- its ok to be sad and miss her but allow yourself to enjoy your family and "your" day. 

It will be difficult but we will survive another Motherless Day.

Be Blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment